Summer Slide Resources
Did you know that kids can lose an average of two months of learning during the 3 month school break? The toll is accumulative and can add up to the loss of up to 3-4 years of reading achievement by the age of 12. It's called the "summer slide".
This year Beverly Elementary challenges you and your children to avoid the summer slide by reading this summer.
Ways to avoid the “Summer Slide”…
- Be sure to check out the Allen Public Library for a free summer reading program. Kids can earn prizes and attend special programs throughout the summer! For more information about the Allen Public Library Summer Reading Club go to http://bit.ly/2HgPXmW .
- Chuck E. Cheese Reading Rewards Calendar: http://bit.ly/2YtIEyd
- Spark Your Greatness! Pizza Hut’s Book It Summer Reading Challenge http://bit.ly/2W4DlYk
- Half-Price Books Feed Your Brain Summer Reading Program. Earn Bookworm Bucks! http://bit.ly/2JiGBJS
- Barnes and Noble Summer Reading: Book Your Summer : http://bit.ly/2HiNCYP
- Check out Plano ISD’s ebook Collection: https://www.pisd.edu/Page/16266 (contact Mrs. Quirl for username and password)
- Take the Scholastic Reading Challenge. https://www.scholastic.com/summer/home/
Looking for a good book? Pick one from these summer reading lists…
- 2019 Texas 2 x 2 (2 years – 2nd grade) - http://bit.ly/2Hmed6c
- 2019-2020 Texas Bluebonnets - http://bit.ly/2VzOIIj
- Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge - http://bit.ly/2Q48N3F
- Plano ISD Reading Lists - https://www.pisd.edu/domain/2479
For digital links to these resources and more information on summer reading, go to the Beverly Library Blog at http://beverlylibrary.edublogs.org/ .