Call for entries!
Reflections is a National PTA sponsored arts recognition program that encourages artistic expression. The 2020-2021 Reflections theme is "I Matter Because...". Use your imagination to create a film, song, artwork, photograph, poem, short story or dance routine. You may enter as many times as you like in as many categories as you like. Each entry must be accompanied by an official entry form. Be sure to reflect the theme in your work. Each entry must also conform to the guidelines developed by the National PTA. Please visit the Texas PTA website for complete participation guidelines: http://www.txpta.org/
!!!Everything you need to know to participate in 2020 Reflections contest this year!!!
All submissions and the entry forms will be accepted digitally. Artwork and entry forms are due on October 30, 2020 by 11:59 pm. Keep hard copies of all your artwork. They will be required if your work advances to the district level. (TBD after judging is done in November.)
Fill out the entry form and attach your artwork within it. All in one place!
***If you are submitting multiple entries, you need to fill out multiple entry forms. Use one entry form per each artwork submission***
How to prep your art:
Photography: upload a high-quality image
Visual Art: take a photo of the final art with a simple/plain background, only the art in the image
Dance: take a video as usual
Literature: type into a word processor, save as a pdf (so it cannot be easily changed) OR take a clear picture of the neatly handwritten entry
Music: record music or song as usual, type the written portion into a word processor and save as a pdf
Video: upload final video file
*SAVE ALL FILES with first and last names, title of the artwork, category and grade.
FirstLast_Title_EntryForm.pdf (Matching entry form)
Maintain current PTA Status
Reflections is a PTA membership benefit program. At least one member of the household must be a Beverly PTA member by October 31, 2020. Membership must be purchased yearly. To join PTA, visit https://beverlypta.membershiptoolkit.com/membership
Best news ever: use what you already have
If you are participating in the Beverly Got Talent fundraiser and your work falls into one of the Reflections categories (Watch this video ), you can participate and submit it!!!
Call for Judges
We are looking for volunteers to judge Beverly students’ artwork. You will receive a digital copy of work and a spreadsheet with instructions. Judging will take place in early November. You will not be in contact with others and will do so at the time most convenient to you. Please let me know if you can help! THANK YOU! firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions? E-mail Rymma at email@example.com
All entries will be due at the Beverly Elementary Front Desk by Friday, October 30, 2020 at 12:00pm. Contact the Reflections Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org with additional questions.
- Entry Requirements: Each entry must be the original work of the participating student. Help from an adult or collaboration with other students is not allowed except in the Special Artist Division (see Special Artist guidelines below). Other individuals may appear in or perform a student’swork, but the work itself must be the creative product of one student only.
- Copyright: Use of copyrighted material, including any copyrighted cartoon characters or likeness thereof, is not acceptable in any submission, with the following exceptions: entries may include public places, well-known products, trademarks or certain other copyrighted material as long as that copyrighted material is incidental to the subject matter of the piece and/or is a smaller element of a whole. The resulting work cannot try to establish an association between the student and the trademark/business/material, or influence the purchase/non-purchase of the trademarked good. Collages may include portions of existing copyrighted works, such as photographs, magazine clippings, internet images and type cut out of a newspaper, as long as those portions of copyrighted works are used to create a completely new and different work of art.
- Dance Choreography: Solo and ensemble works of all dance styles are accepted. Entrant must be the choreographer and may also be the performer, or one of the performers. If background music is used, cite on entry form. Video file must not exceed 5 min. and 1 GB in size. Accepted formats: AVI, FLV, WMV, MOV, MP4. Packaging: Flash or disk inside envelope with student entry form attached to outside in sheet protector.
- Film Production: Accepted short film styles include: Animation, narrative, documentary, experimental or media presentation. Use of PowerPoint is prohibited. Entrant must be the screenwriter, cinematographer, editor and producer. If background music is used, cite it on the entry form.Video file must not exceed 5 min. and 1 GB in size. Accepted formats: AVI, FLV, WMV, MOV, MP4. Packaging: Flash or disk inside envelope with student entry form attached to outside in sheet protector.
- Literature: Accepted forms of fiction and nonfiction include: Prose, poetry, reflective essay, screen play and play script, narrative, and short story. Entrants may write in their primary language as long as an interpretive English translation is also attached. Use of copyrighted material is prohibited. Writing must not exceed 2,000 words and may be handwritten or typed. Accepted format: Single-sided on 8 1⁄2x11” paper. Packaging:3 copies of literature inside folder with student entry form attached to outside.
- Music Composition: All music styles and combinations of instrumentation are accepted. Entrant must be the composer and may also be the performer, or one of the performers. Use of copyrighted material is prohibited. Audio file must not exceed 5 min. and 1 GB in size. Accepted formats: MP3, WMA, WAV, ACC, FLAC. Printed Notation (score/tabulature) is only required for middle and high school divisions. Packaging:Flash or disk inside envelope with student entry form attached to outside in sheet protector.
- Photography: Photo must be a single print. Collages and collections of photos are not accepted. Entrant must be the photographer and may use a variety of digital editing techniques including but not limited to, multiple exposure, negative sandwich and photogram. Use of copyrighted material is prohibited. Print image dimensions must be no smaller than 3x5 inches and no larger than 8X10 inches. Final product should not be larger than 11x14 inches with matting. Framed prints are not accepted. Packaging: attach student entry form to back with sheet protector.
- Visual Arts: Accepted forms of visual art include: 2D original print, drawing, painting, collage (cut and pasted materials such as clippings and photos), metal etching or punch work, fiber work or computer-generated artwork. Frames and artwork containing loose materials are not accepted. Matting is accepted. Dimensions must not exceed 24x30 inches, including mat. Paper entries must be mounted on sturdy material. 3D objects (i.e. beads, pasta, etc.) glued to artwork is not permitted. Artwork must be 2D.* Packaging: attach student entry form to back with sheet protector. Cover front of artwork with butcher (or like) paper, securing it to the back of artwork without covering form. *Note these guidelines are specific to Texas PTA. While other states are incorporating additional 3D art mediums, Texas PTA has made the decision to only accept 2D Visual Arts entries.
- Special Artist Division: Students who identify as having a disability and may receive services under IDEA or ADA: Section 504 may enter in the Special Artist Division or grade division most closely aligned to their functional abilities. The Special Artist Division welcomes all grades and all abilities and offers non-artistic accommodations (e.g. adaptive technology; transcribing; holding a camera) for students to participate fully in PTA Reflections. Assistants must refrain from being involved in the artistic process (e.g. developing an artist statement, choreography, music lyrics, storyboards, etc.) Student recognition and awards are announced as part of the Special Artist Division.
Beverly Elementary PTA is proud to announce Reflections 2018-2019 Winners below. Beverly Elementary's Yagna Brihu received Overall Award of Excellence from Texas PTA for Primary Dance category!